Monday 3 June 2013

Golf Tips - Tempo and Timing Tips

Just to share a problem with you and I think it is a common problem with most golfers I see when I give lessons. It has only been 2 seasons that I have gotten back into the game seriously since my accident. With my bad back I had to readjust my tempo and timing to protect myself from damaging myself more. However, even slowing down my back tends to get tired by the back nine and subconsciously I try to compensate with my arms and hands. I get quick with my back swing as well and can feel my head come up, causing some interesting shots (BAD shots).

Timing and tempo are so important to a smooth golf swing and over swing can cause a lot of miss hit balls and strokes. I love the feet together drill for this over swinging and when I catch myself compensating during my game, I will stand behind my ball and take a few practice swings with my feet together to get back in the groove.

Let me explain this drill, for those of you who do not know this drill. If you find that you have a tendency to over swing (get quick) and find it difficult to keep your head down, this drill is for you. When on the range, place your feet together and take your normal swing. If you swing to quick or over swing, you will find it hard to keep your balance. You will have to find a tempo that will allow you to swing without feeling like you're going to fall over. It's that simple, but is perfect to find a good tempo for your swing. It really makes you slow down your swing.

Another drill for timing if you are an over the top swinger, letting your body gets out in front to quickly is an over the top result. Take your normal stance and then take your back leg and place it straight behind you, up on your toes. This restricts your hip turn and gets your hands and hips back in time together. You will get a good feel on how the hands and hips work together at contact of the ball.
The opposite of the above swing is getting your hands out in front of your body. The drill to fix this is almost the same, but instead of placing your back foot behind you, it is the front foot you take back and place on its toes. This will allow you to open up your hips properly and get the feel of getting your hands in time with your hips.

These three drills will correct your timing in your swing, but will also adjust your tempo. If you don't have a good tempo in these drills, you will be out of balance and have the tendency to tip over (stumble) through your finish.
For more helpful golf tips, please go to my blog http://www.markmarshallgolf.com/ and check out my free lessons and videos.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mark_A_Marshall

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7743578

No comments:

Post a Comment